Who is your audience? That is one of the very first questions we ask our new clients. The answer to that question is something that should be at the forefront of every business plan and marketing decision made for any business. Of course, identifying your audience is not enough. You need to know if your story is reaching them.
Many of you are going to say, “Of course, we know our audience” and I will grant it is likely that you do.
Assuming you do know your audience, are those in your target audience among your website visitors? Have you checked lately? You do review your website analytics regularly, do you not?
Here is a little checklist for you.
- Are you reviewing the demographics reports?
- Are your visitors in your target age group?
- If your target audience is a particular gender, are the majority of visitors that gender?
- What is the ratio of “new” users and “returning” users?
- Does that ratio coincide with your marketing plan?
- Are the visitors to your website spending time on the pages you want them viewing?
- Where do they go when they leave those pages?
- Do they leave your website or do they look at more pages?
- Is your conversion rate what you would like it to be?
- Are visitors filling out a form or making an order?
If you are not measuring, you are not marketing, and if you are attracting the wrong audience, you are not marketing at all!
Are those in your target audience among your website visitors?