Here are some of the tasks that you may not realize we routinely perform before launching new or redesigned websites. Of course, they will have already been Search Engine Optimized.
- Complete proofing of text provided for your website
- Validate the code to ensure it is standards compliant
- Cross-browser and cross-platform testing and tweaking.
- Create a Google Analytics account, and add a Google Analytics code snippet to each page of your website.
- Create and configure a Google Webmaster Tools account, and a Bing (and Yahoo) Webmaster Tools account as well.
- Link the Google Analytics account with the Google Webmaster Tools account.
- Create a sitemap.xml (a specially formatted list of all the pages in your website), upload it to your web server and submit it to the above mentioned webmaster tools accounts. The sitemap.xml file will get crawled by the major search engines, and your pages will be indexed for inclusion in the databases of those search engines. (The correct method to “Submit your URL.”)
- Add a link to your website on the WebWise Design & Marketing Client’s page (which gets visited daily by Google bot).
- Send a Tweet about your new website.
Yes. Those tasks do take time, but you deserve to have everything about your website done right. Ask your web developer (or yourself, if you do your own website) if they do these things for you.