Not many think of their YouTube videos as a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) tool, but here at WebWise Design & Marketing, we do. A high percentage of our clients who use videos on their websites, or on YouTube, have experienced excellent improvement in SERP (Search Engine Results Page) rankings. Next time you do a search on Google, take note of the companies with YouTube accounts linked to their websites and how they rank in the search results.
To benefit the most effectively, start by creating a YouTube “One Channel” for your business, community, or organization, and upload your videos there. Be sure to include keyword search terms in your titles and descriptions so your videos will be found when people search.
Setting up a YouTube “One Channel” (an abbreviated version):
- Do: Create short, quality videos for display on your website and on YouTube
- Do: Create and customize your YouTube “One Channel”
- Use a properly sized, quality version of your logo.
- Use the same color scheme as on your website. (Think consistency in marketing)
- Enable the Overview tab
- Link to your website
- Do: Upload your videos on your YouTube “One Channel”
- Do: Search Engine Optimize your YouTube Channel
- Write keyword-rich titles and descriptions for your videos, and use relevant tags
- Do: Judiciously embed your YouTube videos on relevant web pages
- Do not upload business or organization videos to a personal account, and likewise, do not upload personal videos to a business account.
- Do not use the default settings when customizing your YouTube One Channel
- Do not ignore the fact that users present multi-device and multi-platform challenges
- Do not upload videos that are not relevant and complimentary to your website content
Summary: DO use videos as part of your content and SEO marketing efforts. If done properly, you will reap rewards in more and relevant traffic to your website.
Of course, we are happy to help you with any or all of the above. Give us a call or drop us a note.