Content Marketing is more than a buzz word. Done right, it will benefit your small business, community, or association. So, if it is not a buzz word, what is it?
Here is the definition from The Content Marketing Institute.
“Content marketing is a marketing technique of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action.”
Okay, I know that reads a little like a mission statement straight from a committee from a galaxy far, far away, but let’s talk about getting started with an outline of some of the elements. As we are getting started, it is important to remember, Content Marketing is only effective if it is focused and delivered to the right audience.
Important Elements of Successful Content Marketing
- The most critical element
- The old adage, “If you target everyone, you’ll hit no one” is worth remembering
- Learn who and where your audience is, and what they do, online and offline
- Your audience-preferred media channels, formats, and communication styles may vary widely
- Raise brand awareness
- Lead generation
- Build email list
- Convert prospects to customers
- Retain customers
- Specific outcomes and benchmarks
- Increase number of forms filled out per week, specific number of new subscribers, etc.
- Determine your core message. (The primary benefit you offer your customers.)
- Align your core message and your reader’s interest
- Focus on benefits for your audience
- Email Newsletter
- Blog post
- Facebook post
- E-book, white paper
- Blogging (RSS Syndication)
Schedule (Depends on delivery type)
- Daily, Weekly, Monthly
- Try to be consistent
Of course, we are just scratching the surface here. Watch for our next post about How Content Marketing Benefits Your Small Business.